Frequently Asked Questions
What are custom foot Orthotics?
Custom foot orthotics are custom made inserts that go into your shoes to address many types of foot disorders. They provide support, correction and cushioning to improve foot performance and comfort.
Are they uncomfortable? Do I need to work in the Orthotics?
Proper orthotics are designed to treat foot discomfort, not cause it. Because the custom foot orthotics may change your foot posture, a break- in period of 1 – 2 weeks is normal. Increase your wear by 1 hr. per day.
What is a Pedorthist?
Certified Pedorthists are one of the few healthcare professionals educated in the assessment, design, fit, manufacture and modification of footwear and foot orthoses. A Certified Pedorthist has extensive training and experience in dealing with the biomechanics of the foot and in selecting appropriate footwear. In order to become a Certified Pedorthist, they have undergone a rigorous examination process testing their knowledge and biomechanics, disease, anatomy, orthoses fabrication and fitting as well as footwear function, design and modification. A Certified Pedorthist works as part of a medical team and require a referral from a prescribing healthcare provider in order to provide treatment.
- The foot contains 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments and 19 muscles.
- Cigarette smoking is the biggest cause of Peripheral Vascular Disease (disease of the arteries of the feet and legs), which can lead to pain on walking, ulceration and infection.
- 25 % of the Bones in the Body are in your Feet.
- Walking is the best exercise for your feet. It also contributes to your general health by improving circulation, contributing to weight control and promoting all-around well being.
- A Philosopher’s Thoughts: The ancient Greek philosopher Socrates once claimed “When our feet hurt, we hurt all over”
- Only a small percentage of the population is born with foot problems. It is neglect, lack of awareness, and proper care – including ill fitting shoes – that can bring on problems. (Source: Dr Scholl Australia)